Antabuse – instructions for use, price, reviews and analogues
Antabuse is a drug for the treatment of alcoholism. The remedy is very popular, as it causes a complete aversion to alcoholic beverages and can be given to the patient without his knowledge. Let’s see in what cases it is recommended to take this drug and what are the contraindications for treatment?
Description and composition of the drug
Stop-alcoholism-meds.com – is a drug in the form of tablets for the treatment of alcohol addiction. The principle of its action lies in the method of sensitization – the development of intolerance to alcoholic products.
After you start taking the drug, an intermediate product called acetaldehyde begins to accumulate in the body.
An increase in its concentration leads to a feeling of a strong hangover even after taking a small amount of alcohol, which over time develops a feeling of aversion to any alcoholic products.
The main active ingredient of Antabus is disulfiram, and its quantity directly depends on the dosage of the tablet – 200 or 400 mg. In addition, the composition contains:
- Corn starch;
- Wine acid;
- Sodium bicarbonate;
- Colloidal silicon dioxide;
- Microcrystalline cellulose;
- Magnesium stearate.
After the end of the course of treatment with Antabus, when taking alcoholic beverages, the addict will experience symptoms such as:
- Facial hyperemia;
- Increased pressure;
This symptomatology allows you to establish an investigative link and aversion to alcoholic products.
The drug itself is absorbed by the body by 70-90%, and the absorption process takes place in the intestine. Store Antabuse in a dark place at a temperature of no more than 30 degrees. The duration of suitability is 5 years from the date of issue.
Instructions for use
Antabuse is distributed in the form of tablets containing the main active ingredient in dosages of 200 and 400 mg. They are taken orally, first dissolving in a glass of water.
The dose to be taken is selected individually for each patient. On average, this is 200-500 mg of the drug up to 2 times a day.
The course of treatment is also prescribed individually, and the duration of treatment, including the support period, can be up to 3 years.
During the course, it is necessary to regularly carry out disulfiramalcohol tests – every 1-2 days for inpatient treatment or 3-4 days for outpatient treatment. This is done, as a rule, through ordinary vodka – 20-30 ml, and in the absence of a reaction, the amount of alcohol increases by 10-20 ml. When undergoing a maintenance course, the daily dose of the drug is 150-200 mg.
Indications and contraindications
The main indication for the use of Antabus is chronic alcoholism. Also, the drug can be taken in case of relapses and their prevention.
It is strictly forbidden to take Antabus to people with the following diseases and disorders:
- Disulfiram intolerance;
- Severe pathologies of the cardiovascular system;
- Disorders of the organs of perception (neuritis of the auditory and optic nerves, glaucoma, etc.);
- Bronchial asthma, tuberculosis and pulmonary emphysema;
- Liver failure;
- Disorders of the organs responsible for the processes of hematopoiesis;
- Seizures and epilepsy;
- Peptic ulcer and its relapse;
- Mental illness and disabilities;
- Renal failure;
- Oncological diseases.
In some cases, Antabuse can only be taken under the constant supervision of a specialist. These include:
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system during the compensation period;
- A history of disulfiramic psychoses;
- Ulcer in remission;
- Residual effects in disorders of cerebral blood flow.
Also, drug treatment is prohibited during pregnancy. In old age, treatment should be carried out exclusively with the permission of a specialist.
The risk factors that can lead to undesirable side effects also include combination with anticoagulants, since the likelihood of bleeding of varying severity increases.
Possible side effects
Taking the drug Antabuse can be accompanied by various side effects. Some of them are reactions to disulfiram. This category includes:
- The presence of a metallic taste in the mouth;
- Regular headaches;
- Patients with nickel eczema may develop hepatitis;
- Colostomy patients may complain of an unpleasant odor;
- Impaired brain function, the development of amnesia, general weakness and confusion;
- Development of optic neuritis;
- Allergic reactions, manifested mainly on the skin.
Detailed description of the Antabuse tool
Antabuse is used for medicinal purposes, in order to avoid exacerbations in persons susceptible to persistent cravings for alcohol. Because of disulfiram, negative sensations appear — redness, “burning” of the face, vomiting, heart rhythm disturbances, and increased pressure.
Such effects force to give up drinking, the patients being treated according to the reflex appear rejection of the aroma, taste components of alcohol. After taking Disulfiram, it is absorbed in the digestive tract at a level of 70-90%.
As proposed for implementation
- Antabus 200 tablets soluble, effervescent, 100 pcs. in polymeric containers or bottles made of dark glass, in the package container, Antabus 400 (effervescent), sold in 50 pieces. in polymer containers or dark glass bottles, the package contains a container.
- Antabus gel.
Antabus is a medication for getting rid of alcohol addiction. Contains Disulfiram.
The action is noticeable due to the blockade of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, which aids in the processing of ethanol when the acetaldehyde content increases, which causes unpleasant symptoms.
In the human body, Disulfiram becomes diethyldithiocarbamate in the form of glucurone conjugates or diethylamine, carbon sulfide (part of it is excreted by the lungs).
Dosage as applied
The tablet is taken on an ongoing basis, orally (taking the medicine by mouth). The dose of the drug is determined individually. First, the doctor prescribes the reception of Antabus according to the 200-500 mg scheme, a maximum of twice daily.
7-10 days after the start of the treatment course, a disulfiramalcohol test is performed (after Antabus (500 mg) is taken, the patient is allowed to drink vodka (20-30 ml)).
When a not bright reaction appears, the volume of alcohol increases by 10-20 ml (maximum – 100-120 ml at one time).
Upon completion of the basic therapeutic course, a maintenance amount of Antabus is determined to avoid exacerbations. 150-200 mg is taken daily. Supportive treatment is allowed for a maximum of 36 months.
Before taking the tablet, it is dissolved in a half full or full glass of water. Before the start of the treatment course, a complete diagnosis is made of the person who wants to be treated. Also, a person is warned about negative manifestations.
The patient is warned about reactions of alcohol aversion.
Antabus gel is given intramuscularly. This is a coding from an addiction to alcohol, the frequency is different. The option is determined by the doctor after conducting a conversation with someone who intends to get rid of the addiction to alcohol. Only a specialist will be able to choose an effective technique.
When treating with Antabus medication, negative effects may occur, based on the presence of disulfiram in the drug, the Disulfiram-ethanol compound. Disulfiram negative results:
- Metal taste;
- Pain in the head;
- Hepatitis (not always observed, seen in people with nickel eczema, without drinking);
- Odor caused by the presence of carbon sulphide in persons with colostomy;
- Malfunctions of the brain in relation to memory and consciousness, lack of strength;
- Polyneuritis of the lower extremities;
- Optic neuritis;
- Allergies in the form of a rash, redness.
Unpleasant phenomena from the combination of the Disulfiram component with ethyl alcohol:
- Dysfunction of the heartbeat;
- Edema of the brain;
- Dysfunction of the central nervous system;
- Myocardial infarction;
- Problems with the respiratory system, the appearance of a feeling of suffocation.
With long-term therapy with the drug Antabus, negative effects may appear in the form of psychosis (similar to those shown by persons in a state of alcoholic intoxication), gastritis, hepatitis, and polyneuritis entering the acute stage. Cerebral thrombosis may occur in individuals with cardiovascular dysfunction with long-term therapy with Disulfiram. When the patient complains of paresthesia, Antabus is canceled.
If during the treatment of Disulfiram a person drinks vodka in a volume of more than 50-80 ml (or another alcohol-containing liquid in the same amount), then he may feel severe disturbances in the functioning of the respiratory system, dysfunctional heart and blood vessels take place. Cramps and swelling may also appear. In such situations, you should choose drugs that remove poisoning, prescribe analeptics, symptomatic medications.
Who does not need to assign
Antabus is not suitable for people with:
- Rejection of the constituent of Disulfiram;
- Severe dysfunctions of the cardiovascular system; Hearing impairment (including auditory nerve neuritis), vision (including optic neuritis, glaucoma);
- Emphysema, pulmonary tuberculosis, bronchial asthma;
- Obvious malfunctions in the liver;
- Diabetes mellitus;
- Diseases of organs involved in hematopoiesis;
- Epilepsy, convulsive syndrome of various origins;
- Exacerbation of peptic ulcer;
- Unstable work of the central nervous system;
- Malignant tumors;
- Kidney disease;
- Polyneuritis of various genesis.
Relative prohibitions on taking Antabus medication:
- Diseases of the heart, blood vessels during compensation;
- Age category over 60;
- Disulfiramic psychoses in history;
- Peptic ulcer in remission;
- Residual manifestations of dysfunction after cerebral blood flow dysfunction.
Antabus is carefully prescribed to patients taking oral anticoagulant medications. This appointment is based on a likely increased risk of bleeding. Patients with hypothyroidism, low renal function, Antabus should be taken only under medical supervision, taking into account the possible negative effects.
Pregnancy, breastfeeding are prohibited conditions regarding the appointment of Disulfiram.
Drug interaction During treatment with the medication Antabus, a regression of the body’s response to alcoholic beverages was observed when taken together with ascorbic acid.
Antabus is not compatible with booze (exception – in cases of testing when the metered intake of heavy drinks is provided for in the treatment plan).
The combination of ethanol with Disulfiram is the basis for the appearance of erythema, facial flushing, heart rhythm disturbances, vomiting, and significant cardiovascular reactions.
Do not use Antabus while taking:
- Isoniazid (behavior may be disturbed, coordination may be lost);
- Derivatives of 5-nitroimidazole, not excluding secnidazole, ornidazole, metronidazole, tinidazole (confusion appears, delirious dysfunctions are observed);
- Phenytoin (the concentration of its phenytoin in the plasma increases significantly due to the inhibition of the processing of this substance, the toxic effect of phenytoin takes place). When it is impossible not to combine these funds, the serum phenytoin content should be monitored, and the amount should be adjusted in time.
Antabus is taken with caution with:
- Warfarin, other anticoagulant oral medications (coadministration with disulfiram increases the effect of anticoagulants, increases the likelihood of bleeding). If this combination is required, the patient should monitor the level of warfarin, blood clotting;
- Theophylline (Disulfiram increases plasma concentrations of theophylline, resulting in poisoning). The amount of theophylline decreases while taking Disulfiram;
- Benzodiazepines (Disulfiram has a sedative effect on medications taken together). Taking into account the effect of benzodiazepines, you need to change the amount;
- Tricyclic antidepressants (with this compound, the effect of Disulfiram increases, the rejection of alcohol-containing liquids increases, this causes serious consequences even with a small amount of drinking).
Exceeding the permissible volume
Large amounts of Disulfiram build up the negative reactions based on the combination of Disulfiram and ethanol. This situation causes severe dysfunction of the central nervous system (the worst option is the onset of coma), the development of neurological pathologies, the appearance of cardiovascular collapse. The treatment direction is selected based on the symptoms that appear when the volume is exceeded.
Conditions, storage temperature
Antabus is kept out of the reach of children. Temperature range – maximum 30C.
What is worth doing additionally
Those who choose Antabus are warned of the threat of a drinking intolerance reaction. When used together with oral anticoagulants, frequent tests of prothrombin concentration are performed, a change in the dosage of anticoagulants is needed to avoid opening bleeding. Antabuse is rarely prescribed for patients with renal failure or hypothyroidism, the rule is especially important when there is a risk of taking it with alcoholic beverages.
Feedback from host
Zinoviev A.D. “If you are not afraid to take a powerful tool and are not afraid of the many side effects, then Antabuse will do. You will definitely not want to drink. Daddy was appointed by a doctor. After a week of treatment, you need to make a test for alcohol, for which they take 20-30 g of vodka. Then Antabusa needs to be drunk less, but it takes a long time to be treated. I will definitely say: the drug helps. My father hasn’t been drinking for 4 years, he refuses even on big holidays. “
Maridov Z.K. “I have been drinking a lot for a long time, but I haven’t admitted to myself that there is a problem. The mother made me go to a narcologist, who recommended Antabuse to be treated. Then I could not live without alcohol, warnings about the consequences of combining the drug with alcohol did not help. I drank and was very sorry, I thought I was dying. I haven’t had such a hangover. I didn’t want to experiment anymore. He was treated for a very long time, but the remedy really helped. “
Safyanova A.A. “I know about female alcoholism by my own example. I stayed with the child myself, did not notice how alcohol turned from a sedative into enemy number 1. Thank you fate: someone appeared who extended a helping hand, made me go to the doctor, started taking Antabus, 500 mg every day. It’s good that there is such a remedy. Having tried to drink during the treatment, I was very sorry. Now I don’t drink, and I haven’t been pulling for a long time. Life has improved, I am a good mother and wife again. “