This substance is a steroid hormone that is normally produced in the body by the adrenal cortex.
Prednisone belongs to the https://stop-any-disease.com/ group of synthetic non-fluorinated glucocorticosteroids. Compounds of this kind are more active than natural substances. They are used in lower dosages. The influence of this group of substances on water-salt metabolism in the body is minimized, adverse reactions are rare.
Anti-inflammatory, glucocorticosteroid, anti-allergic.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The substance promotes the processes of stabilization of lysosomal membranes, reduces the intensity of the removal of proteolytic enzymes from lysosome cells, and inhibits the production of phospholipase A2 and arachidonic acid. As a result, the synthesis of hydroxy acids, leukotrienes and mediators of inflammation of the prostaglandins is inhibited. Prednisone reduces the permeability of capillaries, inhibits the phase of exudation and proliferation.
The tool has anti-allergic properties due to its ability to lead to mast cell degranulation, to inhibit the synthesis of leukotrienes and specific antibodies.
Anti-shock properties are due to an increase in the body’s response to a vasoconstrictor substance, stimulation of the cardiovascular system and a delay in the tissues of water and sodium. The substance stimulates the central nervous system. Also, thanks to synthetic corticosteroids, the process of eliminating toxins and toxic substances from the liver is accelerated, and the permeability of cell membranes is reduced.
After oral administration, the substance is absorbed in the usual way. Its maximum concentration, reaching within 60-120 minutes. Prednisone has a high bioavailability, about 90%. Undergoes a metabolic reaction in the liver.
The pharmacokinetic parameters of the drug are linearly dependent on the dosage.
The medicine is excreted through the kidneys.
Indications for use
Prednisone preparations are prescribed:
- with acute pancreatitis, eczema, patients suffering from acute insufficiency of the adrenal cortex, hepatitis, androgenital syndrome;
- for the treatment of rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, periarthritis nodosa;
- with dermatomyositis, scleroderma and ankylosing spondylitis;
- for the treatment of various allergic diseases, bronchial asthma, Addison’s disease;
- with hepatic coma, hypoglycemia, agranulocytosis;
- as a therapeutic and prophylactic agent for shock;
- with various forms of leukemia, lymphogranulomatosis, hemolytic anemia;
- patients with thrombocytopenic purpura;
- for the treatment of pemphigus, itching on the skin, psoriasis, dermatitis;
- with pruritus, lupus erythematosus, alopecia, erythroderma;
- with false croup in childhood.
Tablets are not prescribed:
- if the patient is allergic to synthetic corticosteroids or an active substance;
- with exacerbation of a stomach ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer;
- patients with osteoporosis;
- with Itsenko-Cushing’s disease;
- if the patient has a tendency to thromboembolism;
- with severe kidney disease, high blood pressure or glaucoma;
- persons with viral infections, tuberculosis, mental disorders.
During treatment with prednisone, the following adverse reactions may develop:
- increase in blood pressure;
- Itsenko-Cushing’s syndrome, severe depletion of the adrenal cortex;
- violation of the balance of nitrogen in the blood, weight gain of the patient, hyperclycemia
- mental problems;
- increased acid content in the digestive tract and, as a consequence, exacerbation of gastritis or gastric ulcer;
- swelling caused by sodium retention and excessive excretion of potassium from the body;
- bone necrosis, osteoporosis;
- increased blood coagulation;
- cataract, glaucoma (latent);
- decreased immunity, slowing the healing process of wounds and cuts.
Prednisone, instructions for use (Method and dosage)
Dosage and administration are individual.
Most often, adults are prescribed 20-30 mg per day. 5-10 mg are used as a maintenance dose.
If necessary, the initial dosage may be 100 mg, supporting up to 15 mg.
Reducing the daily dosage should be carried out smoothly.
The recommended amount of prednisone for children is calculated from considerations of 1-2 mg per kg of body weight, the maintenance dosage is 300-600 mcg per 1 kg of the child’s weight. The daily dosage is divided into 5 doses.
The maximum amount of substance that can be given to an adult at a time is 15 mg per day – 100 mg.
To eliminate shock and other emergency conditions, large doses of the substance can be administered to the victim in a short period of time.
An increase in the frequency and severity of side effects is anticipated.
Acetylsalicylic acid in combination with the drug promotes the development of hypoprothrombinemia.
When combined with amphotericin and cardiac glycosides, the likelihood of developing hypokalemia increases.
The substance accelerates the process of excreting barbiturates, penicillin, digitoxin and chloramphenicol from the body.
The tool is quickly absorbed by the body when combined with phenobarbital, diphenhydramine, diphenin, ephedrine.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in combination and corticosteroids lead to the development of gastritis and erosive and ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract.
The medicine is carefully combined with warfarin, atropine, azathioprine, boceprevir, amphotericin B, beclomethasone, metformil, primidone, rifampicin, phenytoin, fluconazole.
Terms of sale
In a dry, cool, dark place.
At the end of the course of therapy, one should remember the possibility of the development of withdrawal syndrome.
During long-term treatment with the drug, it is recommended to follow a potassium diet, periodically undergo an examination with an ophthalmologist, monitor blood pressure, water-electrolyte balance, and a picture of peripheral blood.
In patients with Addison’s disease, the substance cannot be combined with barbiturates.
During pregnancy and lactation
For pregnant women, a medicine may be prescribed if there is a threat to the life of the mother. The drug is not recommended to be taken during breastfeeding.
Reviews about the drug are good. Many write that if you rarely use the medicine, then no adverse reactions occur. The tool acts quickly and effectively.